A blog named BETTY

Friday, September 5, 2008

Not again...

Shnookies 3 & 4 came home from the bus stop yesterday, their heads exploding with joy, because someone was passing out POKEMAN cards. That's when MY head exploded. Not with joy, mind you. I survived through a Pokeman obsession with Shnookie 1, and I still show the scars. At the time, I told myself "Breathe deeply, this fad won't last, I won't be staring at hideous creatures and their impossible Japanese names forever. Just get through it." And I did. Becky offered to teach me how the whole 'game' works, but I declined, knowing that I only had one boy and that kind of torturous investment of energy is just not worth it. Kinda like boyscouting.

Yet here I am, scheduled, as in written in stone, to go to Target today and look for Pokeman cards immediately after school. Alas, Shnookie 4 has caught the fever. It's all she can think about. I could strangle that little generous kid at the bus stop. Grrrr.

You're probably thinking it's perfect--that Shnook 1 can just give his old cards to #4. YOU WOULD BRING THAT UP!! Sheesh. Now I have to relive one of those moments that still makes me so angry I see red. It's about when Shnookie 1 sold his Pokeman cards.

Five years ago we had a big garage sale. Shnook1 had all sorts of electronics and stuff to sell--all the stuff he'd grown past--so we made him his own little station. One of the things he wanted to sell was a big binder, stuffed full of all the Pokeman cards he'd collected. And these weren't just lame-o $2 pack cards; he'd put a lot of his own money into collecting rare ones.

The garage sale got pretty busy (valuable junk like mine draws the crowds in!), so Hubby and I were occupied answering questions, etc. At the end of the day, I asked Shnook how it went with his stuff, cuz he seemed a little down. That's when I learn about this monster middle-aged woman who bartered my 12-yr-old son down to $15 for his entire Pokeman collection. Can you imagine taking advantage of a kid that way? And the despicable woman paid with cash, so I couldn't take her check and hunt her down at home. If I could, I'm sure I'd find triple 6's on her forehead. grrrrrrrrrrrr.

6 comments:

Malinda said...

$15!!!! don't worry, I am sure she will go to Hell for that one. My kids are both into Pokemon cards and the game. They play pretend Pokemon games and we have several "invisible" Pokemon living in our home. I feel for you. If someone tried to buy my kids collection I would make them pay like $1000. becuase I think that may be about how much I have spent on those things so far!!

Stephanie said...

Pokemon cards aren't allowed at the school I worked at. Kids would be caught trading them under the tables in class. I found one in my classroom once, and it looked like a good one too, lined in silver, but of course no body would claim it because they were banned.

The Andrew Family said...

Oh my gosh! I didn't know girls could become addicted! I, too, only have one son and I barely survived his Yu-Gi-Oh obsession. Don't tell me it can happen again! And I have no right to complain, Mike is the one that had to learn how to play the games and trade the cards.

Oh, and BTW, that woman's future is clearly celestial-free.

Lacey said...

I am so not looking forward to that stage. And how dare some women take advatage of him like that, she'll get what's coming to her.

Jen said...

Oh my heavens! Breathe woman. You must let go of the anger (or channel into housecleaning, that works for me sometimes!) Yeah, and have fun with those blasted Pokemon cards. I loathe them as well. (I hope my boys don't read this blog post, or I may come after you!) =)

Becky said...

Was that me, Becky? I did have over 30 of those dudes memorized back in the day. In fact, I still have an original, Blackout deck, from the first four decks EVER, wrapped in plastic in a cupboard somewhere. Someday I will sell it on Antiques Roadshow and live our my retirement in luxury.